RaviniaÂ®, North America’s oldest and most diverse music festival, features over 140 different events throughout the summer.
These concerts range from Yo-Yo Ma and John Legend to the annual summer residence of the country’s best orchestra, The Chicago Symphony. Ravinia’s Reach Teach Play programs serve more than 75,000 adults and children across Chicagoland and are designed to educate, foster participation of a diverse audience and provide people with equitable access to live music experiences in their communities and in Ravinia. Since 1988, the Ravinia Steans Music Institute has been training the next generation of string, piano, vocal and jazz musicians for successful professional careers.
Located north of Chicago in Highland Park, the 36-acre park is nestled in a lightly wooded area that makes it an enchanting place to experience music. The family atmosphere encourages guests to bring their own picnics or to eat at one of the park’s restaurants. Ravinia employs around 60 full-time, year-round staff and around 400 seasonal employees. Seasonal staff include ticketing, bailiffs, guards, housekeeping and grounds, production and security.
The culture of the Ravinia Festival emphasizes collaboration, community and a sense of family that includes the board of directors, staff, volunteer organizations and participants. Ravinia’s annual budget is $ 50 million.
The vision of the Ravinia festival
We believe in the power of shared live music experiences to inspire us and the world.
The main objectives of Ravinia are:
- Present performances of a full range of classical music in its open-air pavilion and closed recital halls, by the world’s greatest composers and musicians, as well as a variety of other types of light classical music, jazz and popular;
- Maintain a beautiful park welcoming to all and attractive to families in which the musical experience is enhanced by a beautiful environment and excellent dining possibilities;
- Allow talented young artists to study with great teachers and perform in concert; and
- Develop a larger and more diverse audience for classical music through education and community engagement programs and keeping ticket prices affordable.
JOB SUMMARY – Head of Brand, Marketing and Communications
The Director of Brand, Marketing and Communications (CBMCO) is a management position that reports to the President and CEO of Ravinia. The successful candidate will be responsible for the development of all marketing and communication strategies at Ravinia including public media relations, marketing, branding, advertising, graphic content, website, media digital and social and sales.
The CBMCO will support all departments with written and visual communications that present a compelling and cohesive strategic vision of Ravinia. This includes strengthening the Ravinia brand and supporting all departments. The successful candidate will coordinate messaging and collaborate with development and ticketing services in support of all revenue streams both earned and philanthropic.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
BRAND AND HISTORY
- Acts as a brand strategist with a holistic approach to the entire Ravinia customer (or guest) experience from first contact through engagement with family and Ravinia programs.
- Amplifies the Ravinia brand by promoting the Steans Music Institute of Reach, Teach, Play and Ravinia and outstanding alumni from both programs.
- Develop and develop the strategy and positioning of the brand with all stakeholders.
- Creates and executes a strategic, integrated marketing and public relations plan that is comprehensive, supports the mission, and includes all print materials, website, social and traditional media opportunities, and promotional events.
- Develops, manages and executes unique ticket and subscription campaigns as well as group sales efforts.
- Monitors and reports on sales and promotions in a timely manner.
- Develops and deploys best practices for digital marketing and content marketing while evaluating and evaluating emerging trends.
COMMUNICATIONS and COMMUNITY RELATIONS
- Uses innovative and forward-thinking public relations strategies while actively anticipating changing trends and analyzing the implications and consequences of changing needs and circumstances.
- Works closely with the development department to actively manage client relationships at all levels, from first-time ticket buyers to longtime donors and supporters.
- Generates content that helps others across the organization with a consistent representation of Ravinia’s programs and events to all constituents including staff, volunteers, the public and the general public.
- Supports and participates in DCI initiatives and reinforces the DCI message.
- Identifies and develops press and social media relationships that provide visibility to Ravinia at local, national and international levels.
- Supports the facilities department with relations with the local community.
- Represents Ravinia internally and externally to a wide range of stakeholders at local and national levels.
- Leads a diverse and talented team of thirteen people, including Associate Director of Editorial Content and Program, Associate Director of Retail Operations, Senior Graphic Designer, Director of Photography and Video, Director of Marketing, Director of Interactive Media, Director of Media and an External Audience Relationship Advisor.
- Manages a $ 2.5 million expense budget with annual revenue goals of $ 20 million. This includes forecasting and planning for each season.
- Fosters the work of Women’s Board volunteers and festival boutique staff to make the most of the boutique’s brand and revenue potential.
- Retains and manages external agencies and consultants as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS OF CANDIDATES
- At least ten years of successful experience in branding, marketing and public relations, including at least five years in a management role.
- Proven ability to create high level marketing strategies that maximize revenue streams earned while supporting customer service initiatives.
- Demonstrated experience of understanding diverse audiences, cross-cultural marketing and digital engagement which translates into expanding Ravinia audiences.
- Excellent verbal, writing, editing and presentation skills with a demonstrated mastery of writing for senior executives and the media.
- The balance and seriousness necessary for communications with voters and the press.
- Support and actively participate in diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives.
- Proven track record of leading and championing effective and energetic teams, fostering innovation and ideas in a pressurized, fast-paced environment.
- In-depth knowledge of current marketing trends with an understanding of music and social media platforms.
- Accomplished storyteller with experience improving and delivering content to current and new audiences.
- Demonstrated understanding of the impact of design and visuals to effectively lead specialists in graphic design, film, video and audio technologies.
- Support and experience in using research methodologies, including AB testing.
- History of effectively using social media in marketing and public relations strategies.
- A true collaborator who can be a thought leader and an advisor to the CEO, a support of the management team and the leader of a department with diverse talents.
- Experience with the performing arts is preferred along with knowledge of a wide range of musical genres.
- Knowledge of the website, app design and user experience is helpful.
- Personal commitment to integrity, respect and the vision and culture of Ravinia.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree with a specialization in marketing, journalism, communications, social media or related subjects.
As an equal opportunity employer, Ravinia strongly believes that a diversity of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives is essential to our success and we strive to create and maintain a fair and inclusive environment for all of our employees. Ravinia does not discriminate on the basis of protected status under federal, state or local laws. We encourage people of all identities and abilities to apply.