Box score (PDF)
QUEENS, New York – Carsen Murray hit .625 with 11 kills and five blocks to lead the No. 18 Marquette University women’s volleyball team to sweep St. John’s Friday night at Carnesecca Arena.
The Golden Eagles (14-1, 5-0 BIG EAST) won their third straight sweep, 25-17, 25-23, 26-24, while reaching .217. In addition to Murray’s hitting percentage, outside hitters Aubrey Hamilton and Jenna Reitma totaled 11 and 10 kills, respectively. Reitsma added 13 digs for his third double-double of the year, as well as a pair of service aces.
“I don’t think we played our best attacking game, but I credit the St. John’s block for part of that,” the United head coach said. Ryan Theis said. “I was impressed that we had four blocks and 18 kills in the third to end the night. St. John’s allowed us to earn it.
Rachele Rastelli recorded 13 kills to lead the Red Storm (12-6, 3-2 BIG EAST) with four blocks. Giorgia Walther added 11 kills for SJU.
- The win is United’s 12th straight and its first game away from Wisconsin State since Aug. 27.
- Marquette won her third straight sweep and dropped just one set in the BIG EAST game. That lost set came against Butler on September 24.
- The Golden Eagles hold an all-time record of 23-7 against SJU and have won 11 of the last 12 meetings except for a four-set loss to the Red Storm in the BIG EAST Championship game at the Al McGuire Center in 2019. Marquette defeated St. John’s in their most recent match, in five sets, last November in Queens.
- The Golden Eagles are 5-0 in BIG EAST play for the third time in the past four seasons. United’s best start in a conference campaign during Theis’ tenure was 7-0 in 2017. United’s best start in the BIG EAST was 8-0 in 2012.
- Anchanted Yadhira had his eighth double-double of the year leading the team with 39 assists and 10 digs.
- Environment Hattie Braywho was named to the BIG EAST Weekly Honor Roll on Monday, tied a career high with six blocks, including four solos.
- MU led 24-22 in the third set but had to defend from SJU as the Red Storm tied the frame at 24 on an attacking error from Reitsma.
- The loss was SJU’s first at home this season.
NEXT: The Golden Eagles will face Seton Hall on Saturday at 3 p.m. central time before returning to Milwaukee. The live broadcast of the match at Walsh Gymnasium will be available on Pirate Sports Network via FloSports.
Follow the Marquette University women’s volleyball program on social media by following on Twitter (@MarquetteVB) and Instagram (@MarquetteVB) and “like” on Facebook (/MarquetteVolleyball).