When: Monday, October 3, 2022
Where: Virtual, WebEx information below
Background to the Kosovo Pact
In July 2022, MCC and the Kosovo government signed a new $202 million Compact. The Kosovo Compact will support three projects to address Kosovo’s unreliable electricity supply and help Kosovo transition to a more sustainable, inclusive, reliable and affordable energy future. The program is expected to come into effect in April 2024, beginning the 5-year implementation period and allowing access to full program funding for procurement.
The Compact consists of three proposed projects: Energy Storage Project: The objective of the Energy Storage Project is to support Kosovo’s energy security and transition to a cleaner energy future, as evidenced by: (1 ) the use of energy storage systems, (2) the availability of the energy storage system, and (3) the reduction of the cost of providing adequate electricity in Kosovo. The energy storage project includes the following three activities:
- Frequency restoration response activity.
- Multifunctional energy storage activity (MFES).
- Support activity for energy and climate policies.
Just and Just Transition Acceleration Project (JETA): The objectives of the JETA project are to: (1) produce graduates who are hired into relevant jobs in the energy and adjacent sectors; and (2) increase the employment of women among employers participating in the inclusive energy sector workforce activity. The JETA project includes the following two activities:
- Energy skills for the future activity
- Energy Sector Inclusive Workforce Activity
US Catalytic Facility for Development (ACFD) Project: The objective of the ACFD project is to facilitate follow-on investments by the US International Development Finance Corporation (DFC) in Kosovo. The project aims to leverage DFC funding to support one or more blended finance transactions to catalyze private investment in Kosovo in areas that support or complement the objectives of the Energy Storage Project and JETA projects.
- Battery Energy Storage System (BESS) Specialist Consultant, BESS Action Group (AG) Support Consultant, BESS Design and Supervision Consultant – Energy Storage Project: MCA will soon launch three procurements for the energy storage project, including BESS Specialist Consultant, BESS AG Support Consultant, and BESS Design and Supervision Consultant. Future purchases will likely consist of consultancy services for BESS management support and work projects for BESSs that deal with Automatic Frequency Restoration (aFRR) reserves and multifunctional BESS applications such as aFRR, tertiary reserves and cold start support capability.
- Energy Skills for the Future (ESF) Activity – Just and Just Transition Acceleration Project (JETA): At least four major contracts foreseen under the FSE activity are: a global consultant in design, implementation and supervision; a design-supervision consultant to design and supervise the infrastructure works; one or more construction contracts; and one or more purchases of equipment, furniture and materials. The selected design, implementation and supervision consultant will implement the designed activity to establish new technical training programs and/or build on existing technical training programs to provide the skills demanded by employers in the sectors energy and adjacent.. While specific technical areas will be prioritized during detailed design in consultation with energy sector employers, training programs can provide the development of skills related to: design and development of energy storage systems ; battery components and digital control systems; analysis of thermal systems; analysis of electronic systems; development, operation and maintenance of renewable energies; energy efficiency audit; environmental and social assessment; utility operations; or other areas identified as being in demand in Kosovo and the region. Construction work under the ESF activity is expected to include upgrades and renovations to existing facilities.
- Inclusive Workforce Activity in the Energy Sector – JETA Project: The selected company will act as a program design and implementation consultant for the above activity designed to promote gender equitable practices among energy sector employers, provide technical assistance to help increase the representation of women in energy companies in Kosovo and support networking, mentoring and other training. and learning opportunities for women.
- Environment and social consultant (ESoC) inclusive of gender and social inclusion (GSI): The selected firm or consultant will provide MCA-Kosovo with management, implementation and supervision support as instructed for all environmental, climate change, social, labor, health, security, resettlement, stakeholder engagement and social and gender inclusion. the program and to provide relevant training as required. ESoC will provide technical assistance to MCA-Kosovo to ensure compliance with MCC Environmental and Social Guidelines and International Finance Corporation (IFC) Performance Standards (PS) from the design phase through to construction, commissioning and closing periods of the Compact for both. energy storage projects and JETA.
- Review of the quality of monitoring and evaluation data for the two projects: The selected firm or consultant will conduct reviews of data quality, M&E policies and procedures for the energy storage project and the JETA project to ensure that the collection and reporting of M&E data are accurate, robust and successfully capture project results.
When it’s time to join your Webex meeting:
- Join from meeting link
- Join by meeting number
- Meeting number (access code): 2314 772 2545
- Meeting password: 2WgbbJmWn44
Virtual via WebEx